Summer is the best! When I was in school I dreaded the day that summer wouldn't mean a break from responsibilities and studying. I worried that summer as an adult with a job would lack all of the excitement and freedom that I previously found on those brief (much needed) breaks. However, I am very glad to have found out that is not the case! Summer as an adult is still awesome. Here are a few of the things that I am loving this year.
1. Watermelon - I once ate an entire watermelon over the course of two days. Not even like a small watermelon, like a huge watermelon. To say I am obsessed with it is clearly an understatement. This summer we have had some of the best tasting watermelons I have ever had. My favorite way to eat it is straight, but we have also discovered summer bliss juice, which we are in love with. I am dying to try a Watermelon Margarita so if anyone knows of a good recipe or a good place to get one, let me know!
2. Farmer's Markets - Not surprisingly, Denver has an incredible selection of wonderful Farmer's Markets to choose from. We have taken full advantage of them every weekend! The produce is so fresh and the people are so friendly and passionate about their products. Also, hello free samples!
3. Hiking - I would never label myself an outdoorsy person, but the hiking here is unbelievable. While you will likely never find me camping on the ground or truly roughing it (peeing in the woods is so not my thing. And I shower twice a day so...not going to happen) , I am appreciating the day-trip hikes that we have gone on and the physical challenge that they present. They are serious workouts!
4. Ice Cream - It's a good thing we've been hiking so much because seriously, Sweet Cow has become far too regular of a thing. When my parents were here we went twice. And they were only here for four days. We are obsessed with it! I usually like really crazy flavors, but their chocolate chocolate chip cookie dough is my new go-to. There is more cookie dough than ice cream and I can not get enough! Josiah love the Beam and Coke, which is essentially Jack and Coke in ice cream form.
5. Working Out Outside - Mentally I seriously took a beating this winter. As much as Josiah and I tried to stick to a consistent workout schedule, knowing that we would have to either a) go to the gym or b) workout in our living room made it so, so difficult to be dedicated. Having the option to workout outside really makes the workout so much more energizing and makes us more likely to follow through with it.
6. Being light outside when I wake up - I love waking up to sunshine! It makes for a much nicer start to the day.
7. Being light later - Summer almost feels like borrowed time, because once the winter hits, all of the evenings are cut short and it's impossible to stay outside (in the light at least) later than 5pm. We are taking advantage of every single one of these summer nights. Whether we are walking around Wash Park, sipping Kombucha on the Porch, or biking the Cherry Creek Canal we are not taking a single second for granted.
8. Going outside in shorts and a tank top - I went to get groceries the other day and as I hopped out of the car I realized, I had shorts and a tank top on. I realized, I wasn't even thinking about the temperature when I left. I just left! I didn't have to give myself a pep talk as I walked into Trader Joe's thinking it's so cold, it's so cold, it's so cold. I just walked slowly into the store. It's a truly simple, but wonderful pleasure of summer.
9. Long Bike Rides - I upgraded to a nice Trek street bike about two years ago and have been obsessed with biking ever since. Prior to moving here, Josiah was not into biking, but living in Denver (and being one-car people) , it's almost impossible to not bike. So, as soon as we moved, we got him a Trek street bike as well and now he is equally (if not more!) obsessed with biking as I am. We have a really nice trail that winds through the city that we absolutely love to ride. Sometimes we like to ride fast (mostly on the downhill) and other times we like to take our time and simply enjoy the ride.
10. Cold Brew Coffee - I will totally drink this year round, but I love it even more in the summer. It tends to be my afternoon pick-me-up. I've been loving it with a touch of honey and cream. Novo Coffee has the best in Denver. Hands down!
What are some of your favorite things about Summer?